the people who make lyric videos on youtube are the backbone of this nation
People are just…
October 18, 2014 - Kylie Jenner & Tyga spotted in France.
"I love you, but you don’t know what you’re talking about."
Moonrise Kingdom, 2012
Can we just talk about how useful this is but also how happy that dog is to be teaching us something. Look at that tail wag. Thank you puppy.
Just an addition that this technique mimics how old dogs teach their young and even full grown dogs still respond to it. It’s also very much not about using force on the dog or hurting them in punishment, it’s a reprimand. It’s saying, “stop what you’re doing and calm down.” Using the belt and collar should not be choking the dog. I’m gonna repeat that - this is not to be used to choke your dog!
I had a dog who was extremely aggressive toward strange dogs - he loved people and other family dogs, just hated dogs he hadn’t met yet - and sometimes I couldn’t use his collar without choking him because he was so big and strong. So instead I’d grab the scruff of his neck. I’d pinch it in a mimicry of a dog bite and and grab under his head, just like it shows in the last gif. It calmed him down every time. It would divert his attention back to me, which is what you want.
This is a great thing to spread around for when your own dog attacks but everyone should know there are so many ways to stop dogs before they even get to this point and even when you’re the one being attacked, no matter how they’re trained.
1) Always try to divert their attention - a dog fixating on something is a dog that’s about to hunt.
2) Show no fear - a lot of dogs will growl and bark as a posturing thing, if you can keep from jumping and stand your ground it shows you’re not something they can chew up. Don’t act aggressive back though! Stay calm and
3) talk to them - keep your voice pitched low and steady to help calm them down and remind them you’re a friend.
4) Prepare for the worst - if a dog is getting ready to pounce widen your stance so it won’t knock you to the ground, put out one arm so it has something to latch onto (I know, it sucks, but the arm is better than the gut or the leg) while keeping your other arm free so you can push it off.
5) Use your own size - people are bigger than dogs and dogs know it, push down on their heads (it’s another thing parent dogs do) push their eyes away, stand behind them as shown above, straddle them so you are in the position of power.
I love dogs more than anything else in the world, but I know a lot of people are afraid of them. Sometimes justifiably, given the way they’re used by law enforcement and treated by abusive owners. I firmly believe though that every dog has it in them to be the friendliest cuddlies little fuffy butt around. You’ve just to speak their language.
This is a good instructional. I like most of the commentary, although the “every dog has it in them” phrase is extremely uncomfortable because it doesn’t take into account reactive or traumatized animals and implies that every animal can be fixed if you just do it right.